Re: Debian and Security Updates

On Sun, Aug 18, 2002 at 07:51:16PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:

   > Has anyone figured out how to use pinning to make apt-get upgrade only
   > consider newer versions of packages from the security repository?

Not sure whether this is an answer.  I am currently tracking testing,
but wanted to install libc6-2.2.5-11 after the debian security advisory.
I have security.debian... in my sources.list, but apt-get would not
install the new version of libc6.  Then changed /etc/apt/preferences as
follows:

    Package: *
    Pin: release a=testing
    Pin-Priority: 900

    Package: *
    Pin: release a=stable
    Pin-Priority: 200

    Package: *
    Pin: release a=unstable
    Pin-Priority: 95

After that,

    apt-get -t stable upgrade

downloaded the new versions of
the packages from the security.debian... and installed them.

Regards,

--
Sridhar M.A.

Apples  have  meant  trouble  since  eden.
	-- MaDsen Wikholm, mwikholm@at8.abo.fi