Re: Debian and Security Updates

On Sun, 18 Aug 2002, Joey Hess wrote:

> Has anyone figured out how to use pinning to make apt-get upgrade only
> consider newer versions of packages from the security repository?

With the caveat that I'm not entirely sure it's correct (although it
seems to be working properly for me), this is what I have in
/etc/apt/preferences:

    Package: *
    Pin: release a=testing
    Pin-Priority: 700

    Package: *
    Pin: release l=Debian-Security
    Pin-Priority: 900

I also have unstable in my sources-list, and I allow that to get pinned
by default to 500, or so saith apt-cache policy:

    libc6:
      Installed: 2.2.5-11.1
      Candidate: 2.2.5-11.1
      Version Table:
	 2.2.5-14 0
	    500 ftp://ftp.egr.msu.edu unstable/main Packages
     *** 2.2.5-11.1 0
	    900 http://security.debian.org stable/updates/main Packages
	    100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
	 2.2.5-6 0
	    700 ftp://ftp.egr.msu.edu testing/main Packages

As I said, it seems to work properly for me, but if someone has
suggestions or corrections, I'd very much appreciate them.

- Aaron

--
Aaron Hall           :       Mac OS X: Macintosh on top, Unix underneath.
ahall@vitaphone.net  :               The perfect software love-in.

Macintosh/UNIX Geek, Network Flack, and...eh, whatever.