Debian and Security Updates

Hello all,

I read the latest Debian GNU/Linux security advisory at
http://www.linuxtoday.com and then added security.debian.org to my
sources.list and ran 'apt-get update && apt-get upgrade'. All the advisory
instructions worked; they were simple and easy to follow, and very
professionally laid out.

The only reason I'm posting this is because this is *the* primary reason that
we're experimenting with Debian servers. All of our Linux servers were
purchased from Dell with RH preloaded or were old MS servers that we loaded
RH onto from purchased boxed sets (directly from RH, not through resellers).

Anymore, we find it almost impossible to access RH's up2date webservice for
security updates unless we agree to subscribe to RHN and pay monthly fees.
Our cron jobs, that used to run RH's up2date painlessly and email reports of
the updates, now die with the all too familiar, "Due to high load, the
up2date service is limited to subscription based customers..." I know that I
could manually get the packages and install them, but that takes too much
time, and IMO every security update should be:

1. Free. Whether paying a subscription fee or not (especially if you bought a
boxed set).
2. Have the ability to be obtained and installed automatically.
3. Advertised quickly.

Debian meets all three of these. Thanks to all who make it possible!!!

--

Brad, System Administrator, Virginia Tech