Re: Mail-Followup-To

On Sat, Aug 10, 2002 at 07:13:40PM -0600, Bob Proulx wrote:
> David Jardine <david@jardine.de> [2002-08-10 20:16:10 +0200]:

> > But isn't there something messy here?  Couldn't both exim and
> > mutt insist on there being an EMAIL environment variable set,
> > thus making exim's rewriting rules and mutt's "from" variable
> > superfluous?
>
> Well, no, actually.  Exim does not get any environment variables from
> the user.  Exim starts up at boot time and runs as a daemon in the
> background.  Programs like mutt talk to exim to send mail.  Exim is an
> MTA or mail transport agent.  The MTA will talk to other MTAs and hand
> off the mail from host to host until it arrives at the final
> destination.  So environment variables won't work there.
>
> It sounds to me like you are trying to "do a lot" with your system.
> Which is great.  But that also means that you will have to do more
> configuration.  From the discussion it looks like you are 'one' on
> your machine and then are having exim rules to change that.  Which is
> all fine.  But it means you now have a special configuration which has
> corner cases such as you found.  By choosing to map in exim it means
> you now have a dependency and mutt now needs to know who you are
> mapping to and can't just fill it in with who you are now.  But if you

Are you saying that mutt wouldn't need to know this if I hadn't
got rewriting rules in exim?  I don't follow that.  I understood
that mutt just handed the message to exim without any knowledge
of exim's configuration.

> follow the suggestion and tell mutt your from address as it gets
> translated then you should be fine.

> As a counter example I believe I am using a more normal configuration.
> (Depending upon your definition of normal.)  My login here is 'bob'
> and that is what appears in the mail header From: line.  Mutt puts a
> from header with my name as a comment based upon my GECOS field entry

Ah, GECOS, another of those weird words I come across and try to
pretend don't exist.  But don't tell me, I'll read up on it.

> from /etc/passwd and my login here at my machine and away it goes.
> Well, that is about all there is to it.  Hope that was not too much
> excitement for you.  :-)

Keep going.

> I do not do any special configuration for a From: line in mutt.  I do
> not do any special address rewriting in the MTA.  Well, actually there
> is a little bit more.  I have Postfix (my MTA) masquerade the headers
> to hide my local machine name and rewrite the headers to look like
> they are from the domain itself.  But that is it.

Hang on!  Isn't that what I'm doing with my rewriting rules in
exim?

Many thanks for your explanations.  I'll chew them over.

David