Lilo image= question

Hi,

I'd like to confirm to following please:
The image= section in lilo.conf is relevant only while writing
the boot sector, right? So the path there should contain the
valid path to the kernel at the time of writing the boot block
and _not_ the path of the kernel relative to the root partition
to be.

This may be simple if I'm not mistaken but has completely
eluded me so far, even though I just rechecked the man pages
and lilo related howto's...

BTW, if I want to boot kernels from different partitions, do
I need to also do something to the map= line?

Anyway if the above is wrong, here's what I'd like to achive:

I have 3 different installations on different partitions on the
same machine, with the intent to use one as the primary system,
one as a rescue system to boot if something goes wrong, and
the third as testing ground where I can play around with different
configurations...

What I just discovered though is that when I boot the testing
system, even though the correct partitions are mounted, the kernel
seems to be loaded from my primary system.
I know this as it is the 2.4.18 kernel I've compiled a couple of days
ago and the root partition of the testing system does not have this
kernel.

Now as mwntioned above, I just realized that this might be due to
the fact that I always assumed, that the image= statement should
contain the path to the kernel as seen from the root partition
that will be mounted.
However I now suspect that in fact I should mount all partitions
which will contain kernels that I'd like to boot in temp folders
and put those into the lilo.conf before writing the boot block...

Here's a piece of my lilo.conf found on both systems /etc folders:

boot=/dev/hda
install=/boot/boot.b
map=/boot/map

image=/vmlinuz