Re: Mail-Followup-To

David Jardine <david@jardine.de> [2002-08-10 20:16:10 +0200]:
> > | But isn't the "From" header controlled by the exim.conf rewrite
> > | option?
> >
> > Only partially.  First mutt creates the header.  Then, if the rewrite
> > rule matches, exim can rewrite it.  However, the rewrite rule doesn't
> > apply to the Mail-Followup-To: header.
>
> And here I was, thinking that email was one thing that I _had_ got
> working reasonably cleanly in all the time I'd spent struggling
> with debian.  Ah well, back to the drawing board...

Remember, there is always something more to do on the computer. :-)

> But isn't there something messy here?  Couldn't both exim and
> mutt insist on there being an EMAIL environment variable set,
> thus making exim's rewriting rules and mutt's "from" variable
> superfluous?

Well, no, actually.  Exim does not get any environment variables from
the user.  Exim starts up at boot time and runs as a daemon in the
background.  Programs like mutt talk to exim to send mail.  Exim is an
MTA or mail transport agent.  The MTA will talk to other MTAs and hand
off the mail from host to host until it arrives at the final
destination.  So environment variables won't work there.

It sounds to me like you are trying to "do a lot" with your system.
Which is great.  But that also means that you will have to do more
configuration.  From the discussion it looks like you are 'one' on
your machine and then are having exim rules to change that.  Which is
all fine.  But it means you now have a special configuration which has
corner cases such as you found.  By choosing to map in exim it means
you now have a dependency and mutt now needs to know who you are
mapping to and can't just fill it in with who you are now.  But if you
follow the suggestion and tell mutt your from address as it gets
translated then you should be fine.

As a counter example I believe I am using a more normal configuration.
(Depending upon your definition of normal.)  My login here is 'bob'
and that is what appears in the mail header From: line.  Mutt puts a
from header with my name as a comment based upon my GECOS field entry
from /etc/passwd and my login here at my machine and away it goes.
Well, that is about all there is to it.  Hope that was not too much
excitement for you.  :-)

I do not do any special configuration for a From: line in mutt.  I do
not do any special address rewriting in the MTA.  Well, actually there
is a little bit more.  I have Postfix (my MTA) masquerade the headers
to hide my local machine name and rewrite the headers to look like
they are from the domain itself.  But that is it.

Bob