Re: Mail-Followup-To

On Sat, Aug 10, 2002 at 01:58:40AM +0200, David Jardine wrote:
| On Fri, Aug 09, 2002 at 03:37:54PM -0700, Vineet Kumar wrote:
| > * David Jardine (david@jardine.de) [020809 14:17]:
| > > I expect it's me, not the mailer, that's broken.  I see that I have

| > > in the headers of my message as returned to me from the list.  I

| > > have to confess that I don't even know what this "Mail-Followup-To"

http://mutt.org/doc/manual/manual-4.html#ss4.8

    Mutt also supports the Mail-Followup-To header. When you send a
    message to a list of recipients which includes one or several
    subscribed mailing lists, and if the $followup_to option is set,
    mutt will generate a Mail-Followup-To header which contains all
    the recipients to whom you send this message, but not your
    address. This indicates that group-replies or list-replies (also
    known as ``followups'') to this message should only be sent to the
    original recipients of the message, and not separately to you -
    you'll receive your copy through one of the mailing lists you are
    subscribed to.

| > > means, but "one" is my login name on my little home machine here.
| > > Have I got exim or mutt badly configured, do you think?

What is the value of $from in your .muttrc?  I think that may be
related.  The problem you have is in mutt -- it isn't putting the
fully qualified address in the Mail-Followup-To header.

| > Maybe both ;-) No, really, I think your problem can be solved entirely
| > within mutt.
| >
| > add "subscribe debian-user@lists.debian.org" to your muttrc
| >
| > You might also want to set the "from" variable in mutt to something
| > well-qualified (instead of it defaulting to 'one') and/or set the EMAIL
| > environment variable (from which mutt takes its default "from" value).
|
| I had "lists debian-user@lists.debian.org" since I tend to hop on
| and off the list as time permits, but I've changed that now.

If you want a double copy of responses to your posts then use 'lists',
otherwise use 'subscribe'.

| But isn't the "From" header controlled by the exim.conf rewrite
| option?

Only partially.  First mutt creates the header.  Then, if the rewrite
rule matches, exim can rewrite it.  However, the rewrite rule doesn't
apply to the Mail-Followup-To: header.

HTH,
-D

--
How to shoot yourself in the foot with Java:

You find that Microsoft and Sun have released incompatible class
libraries both implementing Gun objects. You then find that although
there are plenty of feet objects implemented in the past in many other
languages, you cannot get access to one. But seeing as Java is so cool,
you don't care and go around shooting anything else you can find.
    (written by Mark Hammond)

http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/