Changing the environment of a running process

In a few programs (e.g. Mozilla, Openoffice) I sometimes want to input European text, sometimes Japanese text. Omitting various details, this involves starting the program in a specific "environment", e.g.

    LANG=ja_JP mozilla

when I want to use Japanese in Mozilla.

For other languages, another instance of Mozilla has to be started, in which the LANG environment variable is set to, e.g., "en_US" (or just to the default, "C").

So I am jealous of MS Windows users who (if they have downloaded the appropriate stuff) have a little box on their screen which they can click on to switch the input from (e.g.) "Japanese" to
"English". In modern versions of MS Word, for instance, it is
no problem to input Japanese as well as several European
dialects (with accents, etc.) into the same document.

The key to doing something similar in Linux would seem to be the ability to change the "environment" of a running process on the fly. Is this possible, in principle?

P.S. There is a Debian package called xxkb which claims to switch the "keyboard state" between English and Russian. Does this go some way to providing the solution? The documentation is only in Russian, which I do not understand.

regards, Jan