RE: Oracle on debian

On 09-Aug-2002 Marco Antonio wrote:
>> > they will NOT support you so be sure your work environment will be ok with
>> > that.  Otherwise you get to install a RH (or Suse) box.
>>
>> That might be ok.  How critical are the databases, and how expert
>> is your staff in Oracle?
>
> Here we are Oracle very very beginners. It will be our first Oracle
> installation, so considering that we will need support from Oracle, I'm
> afraid I'll have to install redhat. Sad.

Indeed.  I ran into this a year or two back while Oracle was just moving to
linux.

Basically they have said "we support this glibc, this kernel, this rpm".  So by
saying we "support Red Hat" they are really saying we "support Red Hat X.Y".
Be sure to have exactly what they say you need.

Proprietary software just sucks that way.