Re: Changing the environment of a running process

    > In a few programs (e.g. Mozilla, Openoffice) I sometimes want to
    > input European text, sometimes Japanese text. Omitting various
    > details, this involves starting the program in a specific
    > "environment", e.g.

    >      LANG=ja_JP mozilla

    > when I want to use Japanese in Mozilla.

    > For other languages, another instance of Mozilla has to be
    > started, in which the LANG environment variable is set to, e.g.,
    > "en_US" (or just to the default, "C").

    > So I am jealous of MS Windows users who (if they have downloaded
    > the appropriate stuff) have a little box on their screen which
    > they can click on to switch the input from (e.g.) "Japanese" to
    > "English". In modern versions of MS Word, for instance, it is no
    > problem to input Japanese as well as several European dialects
    > (with accents, etc.) into the same document.

    > The key to doing something similar in Linux would seem to be the
    > ability to change the "environment" of a running process on the
    > fly. Is this possible, in principle?

Unforturnately, what you want isn't availiable right now.  And it
doesn't seem that anyone has the time or effort to do it.  (I wish I
had the time, since this is on my wishlist.)  People tend to avoid
this question/problem, probably because not that many people want to
mix languages.  (The majority of people using computer are either
mono-lingual, or speak/use English/Latin-1 only on the computer.)

I think it is possible, in principle.  The question is "Is is possible
with out a complete rewrite of a lot of code?"  I'm not in any
position to comment on the doability of it though.  Hope to look into
it "soon".

    > P.S. There is a Debian package called xxkb which claims to
    > switch the "keyboard state" between English and Russian. Does
    > this go some way to providing the solution? The documentation is
    > only in Russian, which I do not understand.

I don't think that's what you're looking for.  It seems to be
something that adjusts keyboard mappings.  But you want something to
change input METHODS.

Good luck.

Marshal