Re: Changing the environment of a running process

Jan Willem Stumpel wrote:
> In a few programs (e.g. Mozilla, Openoffice) I sometimes want to input
> European text, sometimes Japanese text. Omitting various details, this
> involves starting the program in a specific "environment", e.g.
>
>     LANG=ja_JP mozilla
>
> when I want to use Japanese in Mozilla.
>
> For other languages, another instance of Mozilla has to be started, in
> which the LANG environment variable is set to, e.g., "en_US" (or just to
> the default, "C").

Why can't you just always start Mozilla up to be in Japanese?  I just
got it to work a minute ago, but it seems to me that the only difference
in Mozilla when you start it up in Japanese is that when I hit
Shift+Space, 私が日本語でタイプすられる。["I can type in Japanese", or
at least I could if I knew Japanese better...:)]. It actually seems
better, now that I have it working, than Windows because the transition
is near instantaneous whereas with Windows I remember there being a 3-4
second lag between hitting Alt+Shift and being able to type.  Even the
default character encoding for new messages is still my preferred
ISO-8859-1, and I have to change it if I want it to be in japanese even
though I have a 'japanese environment'..