Re: kernel troubels

On Fri, Aug 09, 2002 at 04:58:22PM +0200, harald thoeny wrote:
> hi all,
>
> i've got a problem with a new kernel.
>
> i installed a new woody 3. i userd the 2.4-bf kernel image. everything is fine
> exept, no reiserfs suport anymore for my lovely data hardrive.

You could install one of the other stock kernel to get support for
reiserfs and to optimize for your CPU.

> so, meaning no promen, geting the kernel-source and create my one,
> but this crazy thing will not working.
> kernel panic while mounting the root fs.
>
> so i checked everything
> 1. the config file in for the standart kernel on the cdrom (kernel-config)
> talks about reiserfs support, but no modules wehre found !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> 2. why my own kernels, based on this config file will end in a kernel panic ?!

kernel panic usually means support for your root file system was not
compiled into the kernel or loaded in initrd.img.

If you are compiling your own kernel and want to continue to use
initrd, add "--initrd" option to make-kpkg when you compile. Also, make
sure the module for your root filesystem is listed in
/etc/mkinitrd/modules.

If you don't want initrd, change kernel configuration to
"CONFIG_BLK_DEV_INITRD=n" and set config lines for your root
filesystem to "y".

--
Jerome