Re: I forgot the root password, can not maintain my machine.

martin f krafft <madduck@debian.org> [2002-08-05 11:18:43 +0200]:
> also sprach Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> [2002.08.04.1846 +0200]:
> > That is not needed.  Just reboot normally (which sync's the buffer

> unless /var is mounted, /sbin/shutdown won't work. so your only
> options are a cold/warm reset or an exit to the shell, which will
> result in a kernel panic. in both cases is the disk not unmounted
> properly.

Hmm... I guess my normal shutdown has been /sbin/reboot.  :-)

But more seriously, unless a user has a large collections of
partitions usually /var will be mounted at that time.  For the typical
case it will work.  For the case where a user has to ask then most
likely it will work.  Only in the power user case where heavy
customization has been set up will it fail and in that case the user
should already know how to deal with it.  (I know I should not say
that because everyone has their own favorite methods of partitioning
disk space and mounting them.  No need to flail on that horse here.)

Bob