Re: I forgot the root password, can not maintain my machine.

also sprach Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> [2002.08.04.1846 +0200]:
> That is not needed.  Just reboot normally (which sync's the buffer
> cache to disk and marks the disks clean).  The readonly flag is only
> used at boot time so that fsck can check the disk and be assured that
> nothing else is changing the filesystem as it is doing that operation.

unless /var is mounted, /sbin/shutdown won't work. so your only
options are a cold/warm reset or an exit to the shell, which will
result in a kernel panic. in both cases is the disk not unmounted
properly.

there's someone in my head but it's not me.
                        -- pink floyd, the dark side of the moon, 1972