Re: I forgot the root password, can not maintain my machine.

Long Li <lilong76@yahoo.com.cn> [2002-08-03 13:04:21 +0800]:
> > linux init=/bin/bash
> After I enter linux init=/bin/bash after lilo, I got a
> console like this:
>
> init-2.03#

Great!  You are almost there.

> But when I edit the file /etc/passwd, systme told me:
>
> init-2.03# ed /etc/passwd
> Read-only file system.
>
> So I can not modify that file.  How can edit that
> file?

Normally at boot time the filesystem is mounted readonly just before
doing a file system check.  If that passes as it will normally then
the system is remounted in a read-write state.  You need to mount it
in a read-write state.  I think you can just run:

  mount -n -o remount,rw /

That will mount it readwrite and you will be able to edit the password
file.

Bob