Re: I forgot the root password, can not maintain my machine.

 --- Kent West <westk@acu.edu> 的正文:> Long Li
wrote:

> >How can I login as root now?
> >

> Hopefully you've set up a sudo account, in which
> case you can simply
> "sudo passwd root" to change root's password.
>
> If not, at the LILO prompt, enter something like:
>
> linux init=/bin/bash
>
> which, if security is not too tight on you system,
> allow you to get a
> console with root privileges; edit /etc/passwd so
> that the line with
> root's data has nothing in the second field, where
> an "x" is currently.
> Probably. Depends on several assumptions.

After I enter linux init=/bin/bash after lilo, I got a
console like this:

init-2.03#

But when I edit the file /etc/passwd, systme told me:

init-2.03# ed /etc/passwd
Read-only file system.

So I can not modify that file.  How can edit that
file?