Re: debian-user-digest Digest V2002 #768

Please unsubscribe me from this list

At 03:18 PM 8/6/2002, you wrote:
debian-user-digest Digest Volume 2002 : Issue 768

Today's Topics:
Two NICs [ "Sridhar M.A." <mas@uomphysics.net> ] Virus encontrado / Virus Found ! [ "Task Antivirus" <antivirus@task.co ]
  tap0                                  [ Oki DZ <okidz@pindad.com> ]
new kernel revision with make-kpg. [ "Jan Johansson" <jan.johansson@viki ] gdm not respawned in 3.0r0 [ Thomas Kral <thomas.kral@centrum.cz ] Re: How to restart Apche [ "Patrick Kirk" <patrick@kirks.net> ] Re: [Semi-OT]: Win4Lin [ "Karl E. Jorgensen" <karl@jorgensen ]
  Re: Kuvert Application Problem        [ Robert Waldner <rw@coretec.at> ]
  vnc-java and color depth              [ Timo Benk <t_benk@web.de> ]
bash, kern.log error!! [ "louie miranda" <louie@chikka.com> ] Re: xserver-xfree86 : mouse not work [ Michel =?ISO-8859-1?Q?D=E4nzer?= <d ] Kernel Panic [ daniel huhardeaux <daniel.huhardeau ] Re: Kuvert Application Problem [ Alexander Zangerl <az@snafu.priv.at ] Re: [Fwd: Noen Notater] [ Harald Thingelstad <thingelstad@pow ] RE: Kuvert Application Problem [ "Daniel J. Rychlik" <daniel@rychlik ]
  Re: Slightly OT: Seeking Users group  [ Chris Halls <chris.halls@gmx.de> ]
  Re: OT: laser printers                [ David Teague <dbt@cs.wcu.edu> ]
Networking problem [ "Antonio Rodriguez" <arodriguez31@c ] Re: Debian 3.0 r0 and VM Ware [ Jamin W.Collins <jcollins@asgardsre ] Re: Debian 3.0 r0 and VM Ware [ "R. Bradley Tilley" <rtilley@vt.edu ] Re: xserver-xfree86 : mouse not work [ Shyamal Prasad <shyamal.prasad@sbcg ]
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 13:22:51 +0530
From: "Sridhar M.A." <mas@uomphysics.net>
To: Debian Users <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Subject: Two NICs

Hello,

I have two network cards on my machine. Both of them are ne2k-pci. While
one of the card connects to the internal network, the other one is
connected to the internet. Till recently, one of the cards was a realtek
8139 and the other ne2k-pci. My /etc/network/interfaces had entries like

iface eth0 inet static
  address...

iface eth1 inet dhcp

Correspondingly /etc/modules.conf had these entries:

  alias eth0 ne2k-pci
  alias eth1 8139too

As now both of them are ne2k-pci, I changed the /etc/modules.conf as

  alias eth0 ne2k-pci
  alias eth1 ne2k-pci

But, now machine cannot connect to the internet through dhcp. How does
one go about setting the interfaces when one or more cards are
identical? man interfaces did not help me :-(

Regards,

--
Sridhar M.A.

Last week's pet, this week's special.
Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2002 04:54:29 -0300
From: "Task Antivirus" <antivirus@task.com.br>
To: debian-user-digest@lists.debian.org
Subject: Virus encontrado / Virus Found !

Foi encontrado virus na mensagem "debian-user-digest Digest V2002 #767"
de bounce-debian-user-digest=marcus=provedor.net@lists.debian.org para debian-user-digest@lists.debian.org.
Esta mensagem foi bloqueada e nao chegou ao seu destino.

Fond virus in the message "debian-user-digest Digest V2002 #767"
from bounce-debian-user-digest=marcus=provedor.net@lists.debian.org to debian-user-digest@lists.debian.org.
This message was blocked and didn't reach the destination.

Antivirus response: Found suspicious objects
html    suspicion: Exploit.IFrame.FileDownload

Message details:
From bounce-debian-user-digest=marcus=provedor.net@lists.debian.org Tue Aug 6 04:54:28 2002

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Mais um servico Task Internet
http://www.task.com.br
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 14:01:15 +0700 (WIT)
From: Oki DZ <okidz@pindad.com>
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: tap0

Hi,

How would I know that when I issue:
ifconfig tap0 x.y.z.a up
the tap0 device is certainly tied into eth0?
Is tap<n> actually related to eth<n>? ie: tap0 is the tap device for eth0,
etc.

Thanks in advance,
Oki
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 10:39:51 +0200
From: "Jan Johansson" <jan.johansson@viking-telecom.com>
To: <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Subject: new kernel revision with make-kpg.

I have (successfully, yey!) built a kernel deb with make-kpkg, but of cource i forgot a few things. WHen i go back and do a

make-kpkg --added_patch=jariloop,cryptoapi,xfs configure --config menuconfig

i get a

make: Nothing to be done for `configure'.

Sooo, how DO i create a new revision of my kernel packages?
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 10:46:41 +0200
From: Thomas Kral <thomas.kral@centrum.cz>
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: gdm not respawned in 3.0r0

Hello,

I use GNOME along with gdm.

When I switch from X to console by pressing ctl-alt-f1, I cannot get back to X using alt-f7. This trick worked on potato as expected. On woody I have to restart X by ctl-alt-backspace.

Can anyone suggest where I might be set incorrectly?

Cheers,
Tomas
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 09:52:06 +0100 (BST)
From: "Patrick Kirk" <patrick@kirks.net>
To: <bakaner@semor.com.tr>
Cc: <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Subject: Re: How to restart Apche

Bakaner Karakus said:
[...]
> In Redhat 5.2, I was changing the directory "/etc/rc.d/init.d" and
> giving the command "httpd restart". How can I do this in Debian 3.0 ?
>
> Thanks for helps.
>
> Bakaner Karakus
/etc/init.d/apache restart
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 09:55:46 +0100
From: "Karl E. Jorgensen" <karl@jorgensen.com>
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: [Semi-OT]: Win4Lin

On Mon, Aug 05, 2002 at 05:33:26PM -0600, Gary Hennigan wrote:
> I noticed someone recommending Win4Lin in another thread. I use VMWare
> on my workstation and I'd like to try something similar on my laptop,
> but everyone knows VMWare is pretty resource-hungry and while my
> laptop is loaded (2GHz P4, 1GB RAM) I'd prefer a lighter solution than
> VMWare if there's one available.
>
> My main motivation for running Windoze are writing these "wonderful"
> PowerPoint presentations that my management loves. To date I've been
> dual booting to Win2k, but that's a pain and I'd much prefer something
> that worked directly under Linux. The complication is that PowerPoint
> presentations can be pretty intense, with movies showing simulation
> results, and I'm curious how Win4Lin does. Anyone have any experience
> with it?
>
> I'm running Debian 3.0.

Openoffice Impress can save in powerpoint M$PowerPoint format. Don't
know how it would look under powerpoint though - haven't used that for
years...

Beware though, openoffice isn't exactly light either...

--
Karl E. Jørgensen
karl@jorgensen.com

Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2002 11:20:34 +0200
From: Robert Waldner <rw@coretec.at>
To: "Daniel J. Rychlik" <daniel@rychlik.ws>
Cc: debian-isp@lists.debian.org, debian-security@lists.debian.org,
  debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Kuvert Application Problem

(I think this really belongs on -user, so CC, full-quote, and reply-to)

On Mon, 05 Aug 2002 18:12:57 CDT, "Daniel J. Rychlik" writes:
>I have recently installed the kuvert application from debian.  I'm
>running Debian testing on a 2.4 kernel.  When I run the kuvert
>application from command line, I get this error -
>
>Sh: /tmp/kuvert.0.26244/subprocess: No such file or directory
>Cant clean /tmp/kuvert.0.26244: cant opedir/tmpkuver.0.26244: No such
>file or directory.
>
>Any Ideas?

I guess the permissions on your /tmp-directory are off, should be
 something like
drwxrwxrwt    8 root     root         2048 Aug  6 11:17 tmp

Also, which version of kuvert are you using?

cheers,
&rw
--
/ Ing. Robert Waldner | Security Engineer |  CoreTec IT-Security  \
\   <rw@coretec.at>   | T +43 1 503 72 73 | F +43 1 503 72 73 x99 /
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 11:45:35 +0200
From: Timo Benk <t_benk@web.de>
To: Debian ML <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Cc: Timo Benk <t_benk@web.de>
Subject: vnc-java and color depth

Hi,

I was not able to view my vnc desktop with
more than 8bpp color depth through the vnc
java applet. But i was able to view my
vnc desktop with more than 8bpp color depth when
i was using xvncviewer.

Is that a limitation by the vnc-java applet?

-timo

--
gpg key fingerprint = 6832 C8EC D823 4059 0CD1  6FBF 9383 7DBD 109E 98DC
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 17:45:32 +0800
From: "louie miranda" <louie@chikka.com>
To: <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Subject: bash, kern.log error!!

bash[6051] exited with preemt_count 1

Hi, i saw this error on my kern.log. I wonder where it came from and how it
was generated?..

=====
Thanks,
Louie Miranda...

WebUrl: http://axis0.endofinternet.org
Email: louie@linux.nu / louie@noc.chikka.com
Date: 06 Aug 2002 12:07:49 +0200
From: Michel Dänzer <daenzer@debian.org>
To: ramans@iitg.ernet.in
Cc: debian-x@lists.debian.org, debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: xserver-xfree86 : mouse not working

On Mon, 2002-08-05 at 07:30, ramans@iitg.ernet.in wrote:

> I had installed debian testing. I was surprised to see the abnormal
> behaviour of the mouse. The mouse was active for the first time gdm was
> run. But it was out of control. In order to make the things working, I
> tried reconfiguring xserver-xfree86 but doing so proved to be just
> oppposite of what I expected, now the mouse pointer was not visible.

The latter sounds rather like a graphics driver problem. Maybe Option
"SWCursor" helps.

Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2002 12:39:36 +0200
From: daniel huhardeaux <daniel.huhardeaux@tootai.com>
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Kernel Panic

Hi all,

this morning a strange story happend to my laptop (woody kernel 2.4.18) I put it yesterday in sleep mode and this morning he react like he was switched off! So I start it and get a superbe

VFS: Mounted root (cramfs filesystem)
Waiting 5 seconds, press ENTER to obtain a shell
cramfs: wrong magic
kernel panic: VFS: unable to mount root fs on 03:06

Booting with install kernel (2.2.20) give me

[MS-DOS FS Rel.12, FAT 0,check=n, conv=b, uid=0, gid=0, umask=022, bmap]
Translation block size = 512
invalid session number or type of track
kernel panic: VFS: unable to mount root fs on 03:06

as well as booting with rescue disk. W98 is installed and booting correctly :-( Trying to work with cramfs shell isn't helpfull as nothing is mounted. Two days ago I grap last packages (apt) and install them. Yesterday, I switch off computer, then switch it on under W98 and again reboot it for linux. Everything was ok.

Welcome to each proposition which could help me to get back my laptop working.

--
daniel huhardeaux

Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2002 20:50:24 +1000
From: Alexander Zangerl <az@snafu.priv.at>
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org, waldner@waldner.priv.at,
  "Daniel J. Rychlik" <daniel@rychlik.ws>
content-Type: multipart/signed; boundary="----------=_1028631053-2007-8"; micalg="pgp-sha1"; protocol="application/pgp-signature"

On Tue, 06 Aug 2002 11:20:34 +0200, Robert Waldner writes:
>(I think this really belongs on -user, so CC, full-quote, and reply-to)

or to the author, so there. ;-)

>>Sh: /tmp/kuvert.0.26244/subprocess: No such file or directory
>>Cant clean /tmp/kuvert.0.26244: cant opedir/tmpkuver.0.26244: No such
>>file or directory.
>>
>>Any Ideas?
>
>I guess the permissions on your /tmp-directory are off, should be

...also he's running it as root, and apparently completely unconfigured
- which in conjunction with either gpg or pgp missing, might result in
something not entirely unlike the above.
but he's completely messed up the errormessage in copying, so i'm not
to sure of the *real* problem.

anyway, i've already mailed him privately requesting more info about
the problem.

regards
az

--
+ Alexander Zangerl + az@snafu.priv.at + DSA 42BD645D + (RSA 5B586291)
Kindermund: Die fischstäbchen sind schon lange tot. Die können nicht mehr
Date: 06 Aug 2002 12:51:56 +0200
From: Harald Thingelstad <thingelstad@powertech.no>
To: Kjartan Maraas <kmaraas@online.no>
Cc: Debian User List <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Noen Notater]

On Tue, 2002-08-06 at 00:23, Kjartan Maraas wrote:
> man, 2002-08-05 kl. 14:50 skrev Harald Thingelstad:
> > Her er en liste med programvurderinger som jeg fikk oversendt fra Tarjei
> > Huse. Noen notater, som han kalte dem.
> > Det er ikke på noen måte fullstendig, eller egnet til å imponere eller
> > noe som helst, men det er et utgangspunkt vi kan jobbe videre på.
> >
> > Skal også sende det jeg fikk med meg fra skolelinux-samlinga ganske
> > snart.
> >
> > Harald
>
> > Abiword
> > Ikke oversatt?? Ikke satt Norsk ordbok. Foreslår at dette er en kandidat for fjerning til fordel for OO.
> >

> Hadde samme problem på Red Hat, og det viste seg at abiword ikke
> fungerer med no_NO, det er fullstendig oversatt når jeg bruker nb_NO.
>
> Mvh
> Kjartan

Opplever noe av det samme her, men har ikke gravd i det. Feilmelder til
http://bugs.skolelinux.no/

Harald
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 06:27:17 -0500
From: "Daniel J. Rychlik" <daniel@rychlik.ws>
To: "'Alexander Zangerl'" <az@snafu.priv.at>, <debian-user@lists.debian.org>,
  <waldner@waldner.priv.at>

No, I have copied the error message correctly.  I have installed pgp
and setup my keys.  I have also checked the permissions on tmp and
those are correct.  So what gives?

Sincerely,

Daniel J. Rychlik
" Money does not make the world go round , Gravity does ."

On Tue, 06 Aug 2002 11:20:34 +0200, Robert Waldner writes:
>(I think this really belongs on -user, so CC, full-quote, and
>reply-to)

or to the author, so there. ;-)

>>Sh: /tmp/kuvert.0.26244/subprocess: No such file or directory Cant
>>clean /tmp/kuvert.0.26244: cant opedir/tmpkuver.0.26244: No such
>>file  or directory.
>>
>>Any Ideas?
>
>I guess the permissions on your /tmp-directory are off, should be

...also he's running it as root, and apparently completely
unconfigured
- - which in conjunction with either gpg or pgp missing, might result
in something not entirely unlike the above.
but he's completely messed up the errormessage in copying, so i'm not
to sure of the *real* problem.

anyway, i've already mailed him privately requesting more info about
the problem.

regards
az

- --

Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 13:27:39 +0200
From: Chris Halls <chris.halls@gmx.de>
To: Debian Users <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Subject: Re: Slightly OT: Seeking Users group &/or templates for OpenOffice

On Mon, Aug 05, 2002 at 10:32:22AM -0500, John Foster wrote:
> So my next question is, do you have any tips,
> advice, or suggestions regarding using these templates in the Debian
> port of OOo?

No sorry, I haven't investigated this at all yet.

> Also please indicate if I can use templates from Star
> office also.

I think, yes, although I don't know what licensing issues there are.

> It seems to me that these should be installed in the
> /home/user/OpenOffice.org1.0.1 directory. ot the .openoffice directory.
> I failed to locate any means to import these from within OOo. Thanks for
> the help.

Tools->Options->Openoffice.org->Paths->Templates shows

  /usr/lib/openoffice/share/template/
  <user installation>/user/template/

Assuming you didn't change the user install directory, that would mean your
user template directory is ~/.openoffice/1.0.1/user/template.  Did you try
dropping the files in there?  Alternatively, add a path to the directory
where you put the templates.

(I haven't tried this out - I'm just guessing from what I see in the options
dialog)

Chris

Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 07:40:35 -0400 (EDT)
From: David Teague <dbt@cs.wcu.edu>
To: Debian User <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Subject: Re: OT: laser printers

Brother makes good printers and has been around a
good while.

I ask about the company stability and committment to the printer, once I
am convinced that the printer works with Linux. How stable is the company
and how long will the company support the printer.

Anybody remember TI MicroLaser? I have one, it works wonderfully, and
works well with Linux, has 7 MB of RAM but the consumables are expensive
and hard to find because TI abandoned the printer to somebody called
Genicom or something like that.

David Teague

Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 07:57:10 -0400
From: "Antonio Rodriguez" <arodriguez31@cfl.rr.com>
To: <debian-isp@lists.debian.org>,
  "Debian Users" <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Subject: Networking problem

My ISP: Road Runner Central Florida (cable)

I had been able to connect with kernel 2.20 vanilla from woody, following
the instructions given in http://home.cfl.rr.com/aawtrey/  , the connection
was slow.

After compiling and installing kernel 2.4.18, that dind't work any more.
Here is an excerpt of my dmesg:

eth0: 3c5x9 at 0x220, 10baseT port, address  00 60 97 5c c7 4a, IRQ 12.
3c509.c:1.18a 17Nov2001becker@scyld.com
http://www.scyld.com/network/3c509.html
Linux Tulip driver version 0.9.15-pre9 (Nov 6, 2001)
PCI: Found IRQ 10 for device 00:0d.0
tulip0:  EEPROM default media type Autosense.
tulip0:  Index #0 - Media MII (#11) described by a 21140 MII PHY (1) block.
tulip0:  Index #1 - Media 10baseT (#0) described by a 21140 non-MII (0)
block.
tulip0:  Index #2 - Media 100baseTx (#3) described by a 21140 non-MII (0)
block.
tulip0:  Index #3 - Media 10baseT-FDX (#4) described by a 21140 non-MII (0)
block.
tulip0:  Index #4 - Media 100baseTx-FDX (#5) described by a 21140 non-MII
(0) block.
tulip0:  MII transceiver #1 config 3100 status 7809 advertising 01e1.
eth1: Davicom DM9102/DM9102A rev 49 at 0xe400, 00:80:AD:09:86:ED, IRQ 10.
dmfe: Davicom DM9xxx net driver, version 1.36.4 (2002-01-17)

The cable modem is connected to eth1, here is my "interfaces"

# Used by ifup(8) and ifdown(8). See the interfaces(5) manpage or
# /usr/share/doc/ifupdown/examples for more information.
# modificado por mi a mano
auto lo eth1

iface lo inet loopback

iface eth1 inet dhcp

This I changed following instructions given in
http://qref.sourceforge.net/quick/  (which by the way is very good!)
I doesn't work either. Please help. Thanks,
Debian User AR
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 07:32:49 -0500
From: Jamin W.Collins <jcollins@asgardsrealm.net>
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Debian 3.0 r0 and VM Ware

On Mon, 5 Aug 2002 18:03:05 -0500
Jacob S. <j-schroeder@myrealbox.com> wrote:

> If you'll just be using Windows, you might check out Win4Lin, at
> http://www.netraverse.com/ . Win4Lin runs a lot faster on my Debian box
> than VMWare does. (1Ghz Athlon T-Bird w/768MB ram).

However, it also limits the versions of Windows you can run to the 9x
series.

--
Jamin W. Collins
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 08:39:24 -0400
From: "R. Bradley Tilley" <rtilley@vt.edu>
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org

I haven't used Win4Lin in a long time, but I can support these claims... it's
a great product at a reasonable price. I've heard the latest version supports
9x and ME.

--

Richard B. Tilley (Brad), System Administrator & Web Developer
University of Virginia Tech, Office of the University Bursar
Date: 06 Aug 2002 08:04:13 -0500
From: Shyamal Prasad <shyamal.prasad@sbcglobal.net>
To: ramans@iitg.ernet.in
Cc: <debian-user@lists.debian.org>

    "ramans" == ramans  <ramans@iitg.ernet.in> writes:

    ramans> Hi all!!  I had installed debian testing. I was surprised
    ramans> to see the abnormal behaviour of the mouse. The mouse was
    ramans> active for the first time gdm was run. But it was out of
    ramans> control. In order to make the things working, I tried
    ramans> reconfiguring xserver-xfree86 but doing so proved to be
    ramans> just oppposite of what I expected, now the mouse pointer
    ramans> was not visible.  I had connected it /dev/psaux port with
    ramans> mouse type as PS/2.

Does the mouse work in console mode? With gpm? If it does, try
shutting off gpm before trying it in X. You could simply be having gpm
and X be fighting over the mouse. Of course, I don't run testing
anymore, so perhaps I'm not even close. But gpm/X installation errors
are usually what do this.

And don't copy Branden on your questions. I'm sure he's got enough to
do as it is to give you a cup of....;-)

Cheers!
Shyamal