Re: the older debian user; Debian Senior

On Wed, Jul 31, 2002 at 02:58:18AM +0000, Doug MacFarlane wrote:
> On 30 Jul 2002, 16:40:06, John W. M. Stevens wrote:
>
> > <rant>
> > HTML used to be philosophically clean, re: its basis as an SGML
> > DTD.
> >
> > Now, it sucks!  I remember the days when you could control just
> > about every aspect of presentation . . . sigh.
> > </rant>
>
> If you want to hear a really good rant on that topic, check with your nearest
> "visually challenged" aka blind user.  The web's INITIAL insistence on only
> using markup tabs was a godsend for them - their audio "browser-reader" had a chance
> to interpret the page as it saw fit to relay it's content to the user . .
> .
> and now . . . not a chance . . .

Yeah.  I work with a guy who is tasked with doing "impaired access" on
a major commercial Unix . . . what he says about "modern" HTML
is not repeatable on a family list!

> madmac - I'm staring 39 in the face, and finding that it's not so much that I
> get confused more often, but that I now lack the tenacious persistence in
> finding a solution.   Is a readier willingness to say, aw fuck it, a trait
> of aging????

It is surprising how much "mature wisdom" resembles "being just to
tired to bother"!

;-)

John S.