Re: apt and crontab.

> I'd change that cron script so that the update runs a download-only.

Agreed.

[...]
> ...and run 'apt-get -s dist-upgrade' by hand to see what's actually
> going to happen, and a final committment when you're comfortable with
> the plan.

Pardon me but I have to play devils advocate here.  What would be
indications from 'apt-get -s dist-upgrade' that would make one
uncomfortable with it?  Pretty much for any upgrade you will see a
long list of packages which will get upgraded.  What would be in
indication that one would not want to upgrade?  I am playing
inquisitor but this is a serious question.

The reason I would most expect for doing interactive updates is that
many packages expect an interactive install.  But I won't know that
until I install it.  Which makes installing by cron uncertain.

Note that what I see likely is that before doing the upgrade if there
is a problem I would have heard about it first.  I would have gotten
the 'uncomfort' out of band, perhaps from a mailing list, and not from
apt-get.  But if you were the first and had not heard any warnings
from other sources, then you would just take the update, wouldn't you?

Bob