Re: apt and crontab.

on Tue, Jul 23, 2002, Bob Proulx (bob@proulx.com) wrote:
> > I'd change that cron script so that the update runs a download-only.
>
> Agreed.
>
> [...]
> > ...and run 'apt-get -s dist-upgrade' by hand to see what's actually
> > going to happen, and a final committment when you're comfortable with
> > the plan.
>
> Pardon me but I have to play devils advocate here.  What would be
> indications from 'apt-get -s dist-upgrade' that would make one
> uncomfortable with it?  Pretty much for any upgrade you will see a
> long list of packages which will get upgraded.  What would be in
> indication that one would not want to upgrade?  I am playing
> inquisitor but this is a serious question.

As others have suggested -- large changesets, large sets of removed
apps.  The other thing to track (particularly under testing/unstable)
are updates which are known to be buggy.

Any changes to core tools (shell, system libs, networking, X11) should
be examined to ensure that there are no showstopping outstanding issues.
I like to check lists for alerts.

I'm minded that the penguin mascot for GNU/Linux is very appropriate --
as penguins will cluster on the edge of an ice floe before entering the
water, jostling so that one bird eventually falls in, so GNU/Linux users
should look at who goes first on a given update.  In the penguins' case,
it's the balance of fish (good) v. leopard seals (bad).  For us, it's
faster/better/gooder apps, v. bugs.

Peace.

   ARM Computer:  Customer Service Hell On Earth
     http://lists.svlug.org/pipermail/svlug/2001-November/038616.html