Re: apt and crontab.

* Bob Proulx (bob@proulx.com) [020723 00:41]:
> > I'd change that cron script so that the update runs a download-only.
>
> Agreed.
>
> [...]
> > ...and run 'apt-get -s dist-upgrade' by hand to see what's actually
> > going to happen, and a final committment when you're comfortable with
> > the plan.
>
> Pardon me but I have to play devils advocate here.  What would be
> indications from 'apt-get -s dist-upgrade' that would make one
> uncomfortable with it?  Pretty much for any upgrade you will see a
> long list of packages which will get upgraded.  What would be in
> indication that one would not want to upgrade?  I am playing
> inquisitor but this is a serious question.

Generally if you're running stable, you should only see security
updates. If you suddenly see a long list of packages, something may be
wrong with your sources.list and/or apt/preferences causing an
accidental upgrade to testing/unstable. That is a rare case, I know.

Otherwise, it's not bad practice to just prepare yourself to see what
will be happening. If your X is being upgraded a major version, it's
probably something you want to make sure you have plenty of time to fix
in case something should go wrong. Perhaps a new version of a package
includes a buggy Conflicts: line that will uninstall packages you don't
want removed. There are a thousand different ways this process can lead
you down a rocky path, so it never hurts to survey the path before
running down it.

good times,
Vineet

--