Re: apt and crontab.

on Mon, Jul 22, 2002, Deedra Waters (dmwaters@dmwaters.org) wrote:

> I have my apt-get update and apt-get upgrade that runs on crontab once a
> day. I just upgraded from testing to unstable, and the problem I have is
> this.
>
> My upgrade ran last night and tried to upgrade bash and a few other
> things. In the past bash or any program with a config file has always
> upgraded with no problem and has always chosen the default config file,
> but this time, it got to the question of the bash config file and just
> quit. Is there a way to change this so it will just go back to choosing
> the default? I've looked for config files to change this option but I
> can't find them.

I'd change that cron script so that the update runs a download-only.
You're up for a world of hurt if you're automajickally installing
software unattended on a testing/unstable track.  Sort of like investing
in tech in the late 1990s.  Seems like a really great idea for a
while....

Try instead:

   apt-get -d dist-upgrade
   apt-get autoclean

...and run 'apt-get -s dist-upgrade' by hand to see what's actually
going to happen, and a final committment when you're comfortable with
the plan.

Peace.

   A guide to GNU/Linux books:
     http://kmself.home.netcom.com/Linux/FAQs/linux-books.html