Re: Palm conectivity

On Mon, 2002-07-22 at 07:20, Keith O'Connell wrote:
> On 22 Jul 2002 07:09:11 -0700
> Dave Carrigan <dave@rudedog.org> wrote:

> > What version of jpilot, and what version of pilot-link do you have?
>
> > ....command-line experiment to get jpilot out of the picture.
> > Hit the hotsync button, then run the command
>
> >   pilot-xfer -p /dev/ttyUSB1 -b /tmp
>
> OK, the jpilot that is part of Woody is 0.99.2, however I with the command line above, I get;
>
> 	Unable to bind port /dev/ttyUSB1
> 	pi_bind: No such device
>
> but; ls -la /dev/ttyUSB1
> gives
> 	crw-rw-rw  2  root dialout 188, 1 Mar 14 21:54 /dev/ttyUSB1

Just because the device node is there doesn't mean that there is
actually a usb device at the end of it. It looks like the visor driver
is not recognizing the Palm and attaching to it. You can check dmesg
after hitting the hotsync button to see what's going on there.

Also, what kernel are you using? m505 support wasn't added until fairly
recently. I recommend going with the newest kernel you can, because
Palm/USB kernel support is still very actively developed. For example,
the m515 and some Cliés aren't even supported until the 2.4.19 series.
m505 will work in 2.4.18, but I don't know which kernel version the m505
support was added.

The problem is that every time a new device comes out, it has a new USB
signature, so the signature tables in visor.o have to be updated.

--
Dave Carrigan
Seattle, WA, USA