Re: The implications of installing from the unstable release

On Sun, 21 Jul 2002 10:03:18 +0100 Matthew Hambley
<matthew@aether.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> libc6:
>   Installed: 2.2.5-12
>   Candidate: 2.2.5-12
>   Version Table:
>  *** 2.2.5-12 0
>         500 http://ftp.uk.debian.org unstable/main Packages
>         100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
>      2.2.5-10 0
>         500 http://security.debian.org stable/updates/main Packages
>      2.2.5-6 0
>         500 http://ftp.uk.debian.org stable/main Packages
>         990 http://ftp.uk.debian.org testing/main Packages
>
> This appears to show what I would expect.  Namely that the testing
> distro has highest priority.  This being the case I would have
> expected  the 2.2.5-6 version of the package to be un effected by the
> fact that there are more recent versions in both the unstable and
> stable/update distros.

Sorry for butting in mid-thread, but it appears you have stable, testing
and unstable pinned in the 100-1000 bracket.

I don't pretend to fully understand the apt pinning mechanism, but if
you would like to insure that you don't get packages from unstable
accidentally then you should give it a priority less than 100. You can
always get packages from there with apt-get -t unstable.

--
Carlos Sousa
http://vbc.dyndns.org/