Re: Need Reasons for switching to Debian from Redhat

On Thu, Jul 18, 2002 at 11:45:19AM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> HOWEVER, I've heard really good things about how easy it is to
> install http://www.libranet.com, which is Debian-based.  Can
> that distro use stock packages from Debian mirrors, or do you
> need to use Libranet-customized packages?

Not sure in that particular case. A vague memory says you can use stock
packages, but I've never tried it myself.

There was a lengthy discussion about installers at this year's Debian
Conference, including people from Progeny, HP, and Lindows; all of them
have invested plenty of effort into improved installation systems, and I
didn't hear any complaints about them letting the riff-raff in in the
process! Progeny's PGI is in Debian already.

There's also the evolving debian-installer project, which is slated to
replace the current aging boot-floppies in woody+1. It's based on
debconf (as, somewhat, is PGI), so it might well be possible to have it
switch to a graphical frontend at some point in the proceedings.