Re: Post install partitioning

On Thu, Jul 18, 2002 at 11:00:34AM -0400, alex wrote:
> A real beginner's question  here:
>
> Let's say your Debian is installed and has been used for some time on a
> single large partition.  Is it possible or practical to create new
> partitions and format them for system files and move their data to these
> partitions?   Would paths be disrupted and could they be fixed?

Its possible...

A few months ago I completely reorganised my partitions, starting with 3
partitions (swap, linux, dos) and ending with (swap, dos, 5 * linux),
but I had a large (~1 gig (half my hd)) spare partition (the dos one)
that I could use. I had no real problems, but I had tons of free space.
If your partition is the only non-swap on the drive, with no
unpartitioned space, and you don't have any spare drives, then it would
be risky.

But how practical...

You could try using parted, but there is always the possibility of
destroying your filesystem(s). Of course, if you try that, you'll be
limited by how much free space you have, and you'll have to copy your
files onto any new partition you make. Paths wouldn't be disrupted, but
you would have to edit /etc/fstab to get everything to mount. You would
probably have to reconfigure your bootloader.

If you attempt to repartition...

*MAKE BACKUPS*, *RTFM*, I cannot emphasise it more! Definitely backup
/etc and /home, study the documentation with the packages, keep a copy
of the output of "dpkg -l", find your installation disks, be ready to
reinstall *everything* if necessary. The output of "dpkg -l" can be used
to reinstall everything if something goes wrong.

--
Seneca
seneca-cunningham@rogers.com