Re: Where is Debian going?

On Sat, 13 Jul 2002 20:38:56 -0700 Paul Johnson <baloo@ursine.dyndns.org>
wrote:

> I was also speaking relatively.  Unless society as a whole is far more
> clueless than I would have thought (even after working tech support), I
> don't think people are going to have a problem learning that they can't
> depend on the mouse to get them by in life.

In my experience, the majority of computer users (by this I mean people
that use a computer at least once a week) not necessarily computer owners
(those that have chosen to purchase a computer for one reason or another)
are more than clue-less.  In many cases it's not necessarily their fault.
They are not in capable of learning, it's just that no one has taken the
time to ensure they understand the PC that they are using.  In many cases
they are no more than conditioned response units.

> Learning a new iterface isn't terribly difficult.  Microsoft best
> demonstrated this fact.  Win3.1 works drastically different from Win95,
> which works diffirently from 98, which works differently from XP.  Even
> Windows users demonstrate thier ability to learn a new interface every
> time they upgrade on the Microsoft path.

My experience has shown that many do not learn the interface, instead they
struggle to adapt a few conditioned responses to the strange new system.

> The interface being new and foriegn is not an obsticle.  Getting the new
> user stoked about being there is.

Actually, they are both an obstacle.  If however you take care of the
reason the interface is an obstacle, the second tends to become moot.

Users need to acquire (or be given) a basic understanding of how their
system works and why.  This is a fundamental part of changing them from a
conditioned response monkey to a productive user.

--
Jamin W. Collins