Re: Where is Debian going?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul Johnson" <baloo@ursine.dyndns.org>
To: <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Saturday, July 13, 2002 6:27 AM
Subject: Re: Where is Debian going?

> On Fri, Jul 12, 2002 at 08:04:23PM +0100, Shri Shrikumar wrote:
>
> > > That's why stable exists, and why it's named "stable."  How is
that
> > > making it difficult?
> >
> > Yes, but stable (potato anyways) was not as user friendly as newbies
> > need it to be. They want to be able to switch from windows and still
be
> > able to do everything they did there by pointing and clicking.
>
> The only intuitive interface is the nipple, everything beyond that is
> learned.

I was speaking relatively. I am aware that linux is intuitive to most
people here. It is intuitive for me now. However, for someone who has
never seen Linux / X / KDE / GNOME before, it is all still new (an
improved hopefully)

> > stable is *not* hostile. However testing sounds hostile to a new
user
> > when for a decent and easy to use user interface that was relatively
> > stable (compared to windows anyway), testing is the better choice.
>
> But testing != stable.  Yeah, testing may be close enough right now,
but
> this is *NOT* the usual case.

What I am saying is that, when there are package dependency issues or
such, testing is good enough for desktop use. Sure its buggier *but* it
is not that much more buggier that windoze *and* it is almost as easy to
figure out (generaly speaking).

Shri