Re: weird harddrive messages

<quote who="martin f krafft">
> hi all,
> every now and then, klogd tells me all these funny things. among these is
> one such message:
>
>  hda: set_drive_speed_status: status=0x58
>    { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest }
>
> can you tell me what this means? the hda device is okay according to
> badblocks(1).

badblocks has never worked for me..seems it always spits out no
errors for my drives even when they are seriously damaged.

i reccomend running the diagnostics program hopefully available from
the disk vendor. IBM has drive fitness test, maxtor has Maxblast(i think),
not sure about western digital.

those programs can detect much more low level problems in my
experience. IF this drive is an IBM drive and is a recent model
I would replace it immediately. I've had about 15 drives fail, and
it was only a short time between the first error and the drive becomming
almost unusable.

if your running ext2, e2fsck -c (i think thats the badblock scan)
seems to do a better job for me then badblocks.

if its a non-IBM drive and your able to repair it using the supplier's
tool, then i would reccomend stress testing it by running bonnie++
in a loop for a day or two. sometimes that helps bring out other
errors quickly.

Maxtor drives have been more more resillant(sp) against failure
for me, I've had a few start to go bad, but unlike the IBM it's usually
one or 2 incidents over a long period of time(months), inbetween
which the drive functions perfectly, error-free.  with my IBMs it can
be a matter of hours before more errors show up..

im so glad i sold all my IBM drives!!

nate