Re: weird harddrive messages

i'll address most of your helpful replies in this one post to take
load off the list...

i backed up the drive and now am going to search for the problem.
currently i think that it's either a damaged cable or a mistake in the
hdparm configuration. i'll keep you posted.

=====

also sprach W. Paul Mills <wpmills@Mills-USA.com> [2002.07.13.1845 +0200]:
> I have seen it caused by bad hard drives, but have also seen it
> when the kernel was optimized for the wrong processor.

this is certainly not the case, but good to know that this can happen.

=====

also sprach nate <debian-user@aphroland.org> [2002.07.13.2040 +0200]:
> badblocks has never worked for me..seems it always spits out no
> errors for my drives even when they are seriously damaged.

yup, that's ATA error-correction, SMART, and the linux driver
interfering with each other (i think).

> i reccomend running the diagnostics program hopefully available from
> the disk vendor. IBM has drive fitness test, maxtor has Maxblast(i
> think),

it's in fact an IBM drive (i've had good experiences with them).
i just ran their quick test on the drive and it reported no problem.
i am going to let the advanced test run on all IBM drives i have over
night.

> Maxtor drives have been more more resillant(sp) against failure
                                    ^^^^^^^^^
                                    resilient

(because you asked for it)

=====

also sprach Matthew Daubenspeck <matt@oddprocess.org> [2002.07.13.2045 +0200]:
> I had this a while back and it was caused by an incorrectly
> configured drive controller, just as it attempted to use DMA.

even though it works right now, i think this is a prime candidate.
i had been messing with hdparm, that could very well be the reason.
it's disabled now...

=====

also sprach Paul Johnson <baloo@ursine.dyndns.org> [2002.07.14.0748 +0200]:
> If you have your drives automatically power off after a few minutes,
> that's just the drive bitching that it has to start first on some
> models (WD's are notorious for this).

they are not told to spin down (BIOS and hdparm both disable it).
but the message i get:

  hda: set_drive_speed_status: status=0x58
    { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest }

really doesn't indicate that something's wrong, does it?

one morning i shot an elephant in my pyjamas.
how he got into my pyjamas i'll never know.
                                                       -- groucho marx