Re: weird harddrive messages

On Sat, 13 Jul 2002 11:40:02 -0700 (PDT) "nate"
<debian-user@aphroland.org> wrote:

> badblocks has never worked for me..seems it always spits out no
> errors for my drives even when they are seriously damaged.

It's saved my skin once already.

> i reccomend running the diagnostics program hopefully available from
> the disk vendor. IBM has drive fitness test, maxtor has Maxblast(i
> think), not sure about western digital.

Western Digital does have a drive diagnostic program available for d/l and
they ship it with most of their drives.  If you do get errors from the
diag they don't hesitate to arrange an RMA for you.

> if your running ext2, e2fsck -c (i think thats the badblock scan)
> seems to do a better job for me then badblocks.

>From the e2fsck man page:

       -c     This option causes e2fsck to run  the  badblocks(8)
              program  to  find  any  blocks which are bad on the
              filesystem, and then marks them as  bad  by  adding
              them  to  the  bad  block inode.  If this option is
              specified twice, then the bad block  scan  will  be
              done using a non-destructive read-write test.

--
Jamin W. Collins