Re: Two questions on setting up an imap daemon for my home LAN

On Fri, 2002-07-05 at 14:56, Neal Lippman wrote:

> > > Question 1: Which imap server makes the most sense to use? I was leaning
> > > towards cyrus-imap for two reasons: it doesn't appear to require that I
> > > also  install a separate MTA, such as exim,
> >
> > if you want to send mail you'll need a MTA, cyrus does not handle sending
> > mail it is only pop3/imap4. I use cyrus exclusivly on half a dozen servers
> > and am very happy with it sofar.
>
> 	I don't need an MTA, because I send mail out through my external mail
> server, so that's where sendmail is running.

You still need an MTA to hand the messages to cyrus. If you're using
fetchmail, then all you need is an MTA that speaks LMTP (maybe fetchmail
itself even does so, in which case it is your MTA).

> 	I've heard rumors of getmail being more reliable. My internet connection is
> via AT&T@Home; they frown on servers, and in any case the IP address does
> seem to change from time to time, so it isn't ideal to receive mail directly
> to my server. Also, I do shut down my server on occasion, like when
> travelling, and I don't want to lose mail during those times.

> > debian's cyrus stores mail in /var/spool/cyrus/mail/user/MAILBOX

This is inaccurate. Debian's cyrus stores mail in the directory
.../user/username/, with one file per message. It also manages some
meta-databases, such as the list of message-ids that have been delivered
to a user (for duplicate suppression) and some cache files.

> 	They do. I interpreted that as meaning that you shouldn't store the files on
> a filesystem mounted over nfs on the server on which cyrus is running. I'm
> not sure that exporting that system via nfs FROM the cyrus machine TO other
> machines would have the same implications. In any case, /var on the server
> isn't exported, so it isn't a concern.

Cyrus is meant to be a sealed server. Nothing, other than the cyrus
daemons running on the server that has the physical disk, should ever
have access to the files under /var/spool/cyrus. Even on the server,
changing those files via an external (non-cyrus program) is a recipe for
Bad Things, unless you really know Cyrus well. I've done it, but I knew
what I was doing. If you don't understand the architecture, you're
asking for trouble. Not that I'm suggesting that you're planning to do
that; I'm just warning you.

> 	I don't want to access the folder directly from KMail. Kmail supports IMAP,
> so I will just set up KMail to get the cyrus-maintained IMAP message store.

Yes, this is the correct way.

--
Dave Carrigan
Seattle, WA, USA

Dave is currently listening to Van Morrison - Astral Weeks (Astral
Weeks)