Re: Two questions on setting up an imap daemon for my home LAN

On Saturday 06 July 2002 12:11, Dave Carrigan wrote:

> You still need an MTA to hand the messages to cyrus. If you're using
> fetchmail, then all you need is an MTA that speaks LMTP (maybe fetchmail
> itself even does so, in which case it is your MTA).

	Fetchmail does, according to the documentation, speak LMTP which I can write
onto a unix domain socket - and as I understand things, cyrus can read said
unix domain socket via its lmtpd program, which then presumably writes the
messages into the imap store.

> This is inaccurate. Debian's cyrus stores mail in the directory
> .../user/username/, with one file per message. It also manages some
> meta-databases, such as the list of message-ids that have been delivered
> to a user (for duplicate suppression) and some cache files.

	As long as the message store isn't in ~/Mail, it won't affect what Kmail is
doing.

> Cyrus is meant to be a sealed server. Nothing, other than the cyrus
> daemons running on the server that has the physical disk, should ever
> have access to the files under /var/spool/cyrus. Even on the server,
> changing those files via an external (non-cyrus program) is a recipe for
> Bad Things, unless you really know Cyrus well. I've done it, but I knew
> what I was doing. If you don't understand the architecture, you're
> asking for trouble. Not that I'm suggesting that you're planning to do
> that; I'm just warning you.

	Understood. How to you do a full backup of your mail store? I didn't see a
backup type of utility in the cyrus docs, although there is a utility that
seems to export the database in a meta format, and another utility that can
import from that format. I was thinking either of using the export utility
and then archiving said files to a cd, or just shutting down the daemon,
copying the entire /var/imap tree to a CD, and then starting the daemon up
again. The first solution seems better, as it provides a better way to
reimport the archives into cyrus should that ever be necessary.

	As a related question: Is there a reasonable mechanism for moving all of my
archived email into the cyrus message store? I was just going to try doing
this in KMail to see what happened...

nl