Two questions on setting up an imap daemon for my home LAN

I am looking to set up an imap daemon to run on my home LAN's server. What I
am hoping to accomplish is the establishment of a central mail repository for
each user on my LAN (me and my family), which can be accessed from any
workstation in the house OR from a remote site either when travelling or
(more commonly) when I am at work but need to see an email that I have saved
at home.

Question 1: Which imap server makes the most sense to use? I was leaning
towards cyrus-imap for two reasons: it doesn't appear to require that I also
install a separate MTA, such as exim, as it appears that that courier-imap
does (and I don't want to install exim, sendmail, etc as I don't need them),
and secondly it appears that cyrus-imap can accept incoming mail via LMTP on
a unix-domain socket. Since I presently recieve all of my email via two mail
servers that are outside of my LAN, and I retrieve all my email presently via
POP3, I was thinking that using fetchmail to retrieve all email from
everyone's accounts via POP3 and then forward it via LMTP to cyrus-imap would
be a good way to set things up. Does this make sense? Is there a better
solution I should be using?

Question 2: I use KMail as my email client, and I'm pretty satisfied with it.
However, KMail stores all of its mail folders in mbox format in ~/Mail. As
far as I understand things, cyrus-imap also stores each users mail folders in
~/Mail, I think in maildir format. Since my server exports its entire /home
tree via nfs, and on each workstation that nfs export is used to provide the
/home directory for the logged in user, I am unclear as to how KMail and
cyrus-imapd would be able to share that common directory for mail files. Is
there a way to redirect where cyrus-imapd stores each users mail? Or, since
once I have this up and running I will store all the mail on in the IMAP
folders anyway, so KMail in theory won't need its own folders, is that not
going to be a problem?

Help apprecaited.

nl