Re: Two questions on setting up an imap daemon for my home LAN

On Thursday 04 July 2002 23:29, nate wrote:
> <quote who="Neal Lippman">
>
> > Question 1: Which imap server makes the most sense to use? I was leaning
> > towards cyrus-imap for two reasons: it doesn't appear to require that I
> > also  install a separate MTA, such as exim,
>
> if you want to send mail you'll need a MTA, cyrus does not handle sending
> mail it is only pop3/imap4. I use cyrus exclusivly on half a dozen servers
> and am very happy with it sofar.

	I don't need an MTA, because I send mail out through my external mail
server, so that's where sendmail is running.

> <snip>... fetchmail
> has  had some bugs in the past where it hangs on certain messages,
> or it dies for unknown reaons. it has it's purpose, but i would just
> run a MTA. unless your on a modem or dynamic ip or your isp doesn't
> allow servers.

	I've heard rumors of getmail being more reliable. My internet connection is
via AT&T@Home; they frown on servers, and in any case the IP address does
seem to change from time to time, so it isn't ideal to receive mail directly
to my server. Also, I do shut down my server on occasion, like when
travelling, and I don't want to lose mail during those times.

> debian's cyrus stores mail in /var/spool/cyrus/mail/user/MAILBOX

	Yeah, I did figure that out from reading the cyrus docs, so that won't
conflict with KMails mbox files in ~/Mail. In any case, I shouldn't wind up
having much in those folders once I migrate to an IMAP solution anyway.

> i think the cyrus docs strongly urged against storing cyrus files on
> a nfs volume for locking issues. been a while though.

	They do. I interpreted that as meaning that you shouldn't store the files on
a filesystem mounted over nfs on the server on which cyrus is running. I'm
not sure that exporting that system via nfs FROM the cyrus machine TO other
machines would have the same implications. In any case, /var on the server
isn't exported, so it isn't a concern.

> one of cyrus's advantages is the indexes it maintains, mailbox access
> is lightning fast and not resource intensive, even if you could access
> the mail directly through kmail this advantage would be lost.

	I don't want to access the folder directly from KMail. Kmail supports IMAP,
so I will just set up KMail to get the cyrus-maintained IMAP message store.