Re: Floppy Image to Install

On Mon, 2002-07-01 at 16:47, Matthew Tedder wrote:
> I am not ungrateful for the attempts at helping me here, but I just haven't
> had any help yet.  I thought it was a simple question: what boot image do I
> need to put on the floppy to make it boot and start the installation of
> Woody, that I currently have on CD.  I have all 8 CDs downloaded and burned.

Sorry.  Anyway.  there are several images which you can use to install
debian.  It really depends on your hardware.  I would recommend trying
out the bf2.4 boot floppies.  They have the most support for new
hardware.  What I would recommend you doing is going into the .config
for each of the boot floppy sets and looking for your hardware.  And
then there is always the trial and error method.  If one doesnt work
move on to the next(vanilla) then to the next(ide-pci) and the next(is
there a next?) and you will eventually find on that works on your
hardware.  You will need the root and rescue disks, plus the access to
the drivers.tgz  You could always boot from the cdrom.  But maybe your
boxes cant boot from cdrom?  In this case, do they atleast have cdroms?
Cause then all you will need are the root and rescue disks.  You can get
everything else from the cdrom.  If there are no cdroms you will need to
ensure that the disk that you use has support built in for your network
card so you can get the rest of the system from the net.  The install
manual pretty much spells out everything I have just said plus in a much
clearer and more in depth manner.

> Another question, is there an central, authorative repository or source
> packages to match the binary ones?  RPMs can contain both source and binary
> offer either method to install.  I wonder how closely using source packages
> could offer the benefits of Gentoo?  I know it's not patching like Gentoo,
> but one could likely use a script to find diffs and then patch?  I'm just
> mentally exploring an interesting idea..  I wonder if a server program could
> be build to serve patches like this automatically extracted from debian
> source packages?

Hmmm.  You seem to be looking for apt-source  Look for it in woody+1.
Untill then you can always do an apt-get build-deps <package> && apt-get
source <package> after that there are a few helper apps to build the
package and everything.  I forget them right now.  Sorry but Ive run out
of information.

--
-Peace kid
  Scott Henson	shenson2@wvu.edu

"God's the ultimate playa, so naturally He's going to have some haters,"
rapper Ice Cube said. "But these haters need to realize that  if you
mess with the man upstairs, you will get your ass smote. True dat."