Re: Floppy Image to Install

On Monday 01 July 2002 06:33 pm, Scott Henson wrote:
> On Mon, 2002-07-01 at 15:20, Matthew Tedder wrote:
> > I've tried the rescue.bin and root.bin--the rescue just boots my
> > previously installed Potato and the other doesn't boot anything.
>
> You have potato installed?  This is the great thing about debian.  You
> dont have to reinstall everytime a new release comes out.  You can
> register your new CD's using apt-cdrom if Im not mistaken then do an
> apt-get update && apt-get install apt apt-utils dpkg dselect && apt-get
> -u dist-upgrade  After this, your system should be all good.
> It is important that you install those packages first because your
> upgrade will go alot smoother as a whole.  Also there are a few upgrade
> how-to's out there that would give a better explanation of how to do
> this.  I think Im missing something on those things that you need to
> install first.  Anyone wanna fill in my deficiencies?

Again... I need to know what boot image to put on the floppy because I need
to install it on other machines.  This one it just for testing, that's why I
have Potato on it.  I am aware of apt-get and all the wonders professed about
Debian--the ones about being incredibly difficult to install and configure
and get answers about are just as true, unfortunately.

I am not ungrateful for the attempts at helping me here, but I just haven't
had any help yet.  I thought it was a simple question: what boot image do I
need to put on the floppy to make it boot and start the installation of
Woody, that I currently have on CD.  I have all 8 CDs downloaded and burned.

Another question, is there an central, authorative repository or source
packages to match the binary ones?  RPMs can contain both source and binary
offer either method to install.  I wonder how closely using source packages
could offer the benefits of Gentoo?  I know it's not patching like Gentoo,
but one could likely use a script to find diffs and then patch?  I'm just
mentally exploring an interesting idea..  I wonder if a server program could
be build to serve patches like this automatically extracted from debian
source packages?

Matthew

--
Anything that can be logically explained, can be programmed.