Re: Linux and legacy-free motherboards

On Thu, 2002-06-06 at 15:02, Jeff wrote:
> Derrick 'dman' Hudson, 2002-Jun-06 10:35 -0500:
> > On Thu, Jun 06, 2002 at 01:56:22PM +0200, Joris Lambrecht wrote:
> >
> > | I've recently purchased a spanking Athlon motherboard (Abit AT7Max) wich
> > | is to be installed with Linux, preferably Debian.
> > |
> > | Who can tell me if it's possible to install Debian on a system wich can
> > | only handle usb keyboards/mouse from scratch. PS/2 devices are not an
> > | option.
> >
> > You're best bet would be to try the bf2.4 installer.  Since it's a 2.4
> > kernel it might have the USB stuff included (I haven't checked).
> >
> > Otherwise put the hard drive in a PS/2 capable box, run the installer,
> > grab a 2.4 kernel and configure the USB keyboard to load at boot time
> > and put it back in the new box.
> >
> > For those of you who think potato is just great, here's where it
> > really loses out.  This isn't the first time people have come to the
> > list with FATAL problems installing debian because they only have a
> > USB keyboard.  At least Joris isn't a raw newbie looking to get on the
> > ball and is certainly capable of the drive-swapping technique I
> > described.  I certainly hope woody fares better on these new-fangled
> > systems :-).
>
> You definitely need to have an installation boot CD or Floppy with
> 2.4.x kernel support to detect the USB keyboard and/or mouse.  I

You don't necessarily need a kernel with USB support at all. I have
unstable running on a compaq ipaq desktop which is "legacy free." I did
the install from a woody netinst image running 2.2.20.

The only time I have to worry about the usbkbd and usbmouse modules is
when I have usb-uhgci loaded. Otherwise, my PC emulates PS/2 devices for
both. That is why you can also boot to dos if you feel so inclined.

My advice is to try it. If it works, it works, if not, then it probably
doesn't :)