Re: Linux and legacy-free motherboards

On Thu, Jun 06, 2002 at 01:56:22PM +0200, Joris Lambrecht wrote:

| I've recently purchased a spanking Athlon motherboard (Abit AT7Max) wich
| is to be installed with Linux, preferably Debian.
|
| Who can tell me if it's possible to install Debian on a system wich can
| only handle usb keyboards/mouse from scratch. PS/2 devices are not an
| option.

You're best bet would be to try the bf2.4 installer.  Since it's a 2.4
kernel it might have the USB stuff included (I haven't checked).

Otherwise put the hard drive in a PS/2 capable box, run the installer,
grab a 2.4 kernel and configure the USB keyboard to load at boot time
and put it back in the new box.

For those of you who think potato is just great, here's where it
really loses out.  This isn't the first time people have come to the
list with FATAL problems installing debian because they only have a
USB keyboard.  At least Joris isn't a raw newbie looking to get on the
ball and is certainly capable of the drive-swapping technique I
described.  I certainly hope woody fares better on these new-fangled
systems :-).

-D

--

There are six things the Lord hates,