Re: Linux and legacy-free motherboards

Derrick 'dman' Hudson, 2002-Jun-06 10:35 -0500:
> On Thu, Jun 06, 2002 at 01:56:22PM +0200, Joris Lambrecht wrote:
>
> | I've recently purchased a spanking Athlon motherboard (Abit AT7Max) wich
> | is to be installed with Linux, preferably Debian.
> |
> | Who can tell me if it's possible to install Debian on a system wich can
> | only handle usb keyboards/mouse from scratch. PS/2 devices are not an
> | option.
>
> You're best bet would be to try the bf2.4 installer.  Since it's a 2.4
> kernel it might have the USB stuff included (I haven't checked).
>
> Otherwise put the hard drive in a PS/2 capable box, run the installer,
> grab a 2.4 kernel and configure the USB keyboard to load at boot time
> and put it back in the new box.
>
> For those of you who think potato is just great, here's where it
> really loses out.  This isn't the first time people have come to the
> list with FATAL problems installing debian because they only have a
> USB keyboard.  At least Joris isn't a raw newbie looking to get on the
> ball and is certainly capable of the drive-swapping technique I
> described.  I certainly hope woody fares better on these new-fangled
> systems :-).

You definitely need to have an installation boot CD or Floppy with
2.4.x kernel support to detect the USB keyboard and/or mouse.  I
recently booted a brand spanking new Toshiba Satellite 5105-S607 that
is "legacy free", which means the keyboard and mouse-pad are on the
USB bus, using the Knoppix CD which is based on the 2.4.18 kernel and
loads KDE.  It loaded fine, but got the modelines wrong so X was
unusable.  But, the keyboard worked fine and I could see something
moving around amoung the squiggly lines on the botched X session when
I scratched the mouse-pad.  It found the keyboard fine and ran a nice
framebuffer console in color at 1024x768 and I believe I saw the SCSI
modules loaded for the CD-RW drive.

jc

--
Jeff Coppock		Systems Engineer