Re: New Debian user - a bunch of problems

Hi Frank,

Am Samstag, 1. Januar 2000 01:34 schrieb Frank Brodbeck:

> What you got there is a so called tarball. It's a compressed
> archive and enclosed are the sources to scribus - in your case.
> But this isn't a package neither a debian (deb) nor a Red Hat
> package (rpm).
>
> There are two ways known to myself to install it.
>
> Either you uncompress the source and then manually install
> scribus or you get scribus as a debian package.
>
> I suggest the second way.
> So just go to the shell and then go further as root:
> # apt-get scribus
> and there we are, the newest version of scribus.

I just didn't understand the method of Paul. Probably it's a way
for deb-source packages (I don't know).

I knew the two tools alien and checkinstall

o alien - Install LSB, Red Hat, Stampede, and Slackware Packages
with dpkg

o checkinstall - CheckInstall installations tracker, version 1.5.1

I choosed the 2nd way with checkinstall, and now I get:

gerhard@debian:~$ apt-cache search scribus
scribus-doc-de - German documentation for Scribus
scribus-doc-en - English documentation for Scribus
scribus-doc-fr - French documentation for Scribus
scribus - Scribus 0.7.3 Entwicklerversion DTP Programm

where the comment is made by myself, because checkinstall asked me
for such a comment.

Do you know what kind of tool is recommended: checkinstall or alien?

Thank you

regards

gerhard