Re: Global variables

On Friday 31 May 2002 09:09 pm, Maya wrote:
> I have removed the '.bashrc' and '.profiles' from all the users
> accounts.

Now we know where BOFH lives! BTW we are hiring a new sysadmin, send your
resume.

> Added the necessary modifications in '/etc/profile' including
> the variables necessary to configure and compile Qt-3.0.4. But now, when
> I try to 'echo' some variable, say for instance, 'echo $QTDIR' I get
> nothing; which indicates that according to the system the variable has
> not been declared, but it has! It is in the '/etc/profile'.
>
> Can someone please tell me what I am doing wrong?

If you are using bash, just repeat these commands (no need to put them in any
files, let alone mess with your users)

export SOME_QT_VARIABLE=whatever_qt_value_you_want_it_to_have
.... etc

then
./configure && make install
or whatever the instructions say