New Debian user - a bunch of problems

Before I begin, I want to state that I'm very impressed with Debian. It's obvious that some very talented people put in a lot of quality time on it. I now have it installed on all 3 of my servers, which formerly ran Red Hat.  The base system install went great on all of them.  I'm now having a bunch of nagging problems getting individual packages to work:

I have apt-get set to load the testing directory.

1) I can't get X to work right.  It installed fine, and starts ok.  But screen resolution is something like 640x480 when it's supposed to be 1152x864.  I have xfree86 4.1.0-16 installed.  Any suggestions will be appreciated.  I need X to run ASAP because I have to use xemacs to update by hand a 6000 line database that's due tomorrow evening.  BTW, if anyone is using an IBM 2235 C50 monitor, can you send me the refresh rates?

2). The mouse is going nuts.  When I move it around it does all kinds of weird things, including acting like I've pressed one of the 3 buttons when I haven't, or sen't kill commands to fvwm, etc.  I have a Logitech M-C48 wheel mouse.  If any of you have the console and X settings for it, I'd appreciate it.

3) Is there a way to get Pine to work on Debian?  I can't find a package for it, so I installed a Pine rpm using alien.  It installed fine, but now errors out stating that it can't load the necessary libraries.  But some of the libraries it says it's missing aren't on the Red Hat 7.2 box that I've been running Pine on (libcom_err.so.3)?

4) I can't send mail.  I've installed sendmail, largely because I've been using it for years, and this is a production box.  I don't have time right now to learn another MTA.  When I try to send mail using Mutt, which I've never used, it keeps giving me excuses as to why the operating system won't allow it to send mail.  The latest excuse is: "Warning: Cannot use HostStatusDirectory = /var/lib/sendmail/host_status: No such file or directory"

5) I run several MyPHPNuke boards on some domains I host.  When I try to access the domains, instead of opening the site, it downloads the file instead.  Apparently it can't figure out that it's supposed to execute PHP.  I have PHP4 installed.  Suggestions?

Glen