Re: OT: debian-beer (was Re: wrapping [was: Re: disable paragraphflows in mozilla?])

On Mon, May 27, 2002 at 10:05:28AM +1000, John wrote:
> Ron Johnson wrote:
> >On Sat, 2002-05-25 at 08:37, Paul Johnson wrote:
> >>On Sat, May 25, 2002 at 04:46:29AM -0700, Craig Dickson wrote:
> >>
> >[snip]
> >
> >>To make an observation, Americans have this bizarre superiority complex.
> >>Oregonians, and to a lesser degree, Idahoans, tend to look in from the
> >>

> >It's not a "bizarre" superiority complex.  May not be valid,
> >but certainly not "bizarre".  I can list 1,000 US accomplish-
> >ments, not the least of which is making sure that Aussies aren't
> >not speaking Japanese, and the Brits now speaking German.  (Yes,
> >you fought the Battle of Britain, but without the US Navy , for
> >all intents & purposes fighting the Battle of the Atlantic with
> >the Royal Navy well before 07-Dec-1941, Admiral Doenitz _would_
> >have starved you all into submission...)
> >
> Hmmmm, OK, flamewar started...
>
> Actually, the USA was asked to help Australia in 1939. We had the crap
> bombed out of us. After Pearl Harbour the USA decided that Oz was a
> great place to base a lot of Operations.

Don't take it too personally. Some Americans get all their info from
movies or the glorified history :)

He gets many points wrong - Brits are not speaking German because of the
Russians not the US. US wanted to _stop_ aiding Britan before Perl
Harbor because Britain could not pay the bills - it was with the
help of Canada and others that Britain did not starve [I guess, thank you
Americans goes there :-] Americian view of WWII was "another European conflict"
and they only had business interrests in it, well, until a few ships
got sunk.

And why the heck do I say that "Brits are not speaking German because of the Russians"?
Well, German army lost 7 out of 8 soldiers in WWII in the Russian campaign.
Also, for anyone that might be interrested, out of about 50 million people
that died, ~50% of them were of the former Soviet Union origin. Over 10
million were civilians. Plus Hitler did not want to invade England or have
a war with the west - he "only" wanted to exterminate most of the
countries to the east to "create more living space for the Arian race".

- Adam