Re: OT: debian-beer (was Re: wrapping [was: Re: disable paragraphflows in mozilla?])

On Sat, 2002-05-25 at 22:29, Paul Johnson wrote:
> On Sat, May 25, 2002 at 11:12:37AM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
>
> > It's not a "bizarre" superiority complex.  May not be valid,
> > but certainly not "bizarre".  I can list 1,000 US accomplish-
> > ments, not the least of which is making sure that Aussies aren't
[snip]
> > have starved you all into submission...)
>
> As much as US action was admirable during World War II, I've noticed
> that pretty much every American accomplishment mentioned in casual
> conversation is extremely violent, and yet Americans still refer to

Transistors, ICs, microprocessors, nylon, space exploration,
heavier-than-air flight, hard disks and lasers all seem pretty
non-violent to me...  Television, tape recording and the VCR
are also accomplishments, but I'd rather not brag about them...

> America as a peace-loving nation.  Riiiight.  Even the 1960s with

_I_ never said we were/are peace-loving.  It's a nice dream, but
our country was born in revolution and continental conquest.
The apathetic peasants stayed in the Old World.  The Hungry
came over here.

[snip]
> home and abroad.  And it was still a cheap shot for the national gaurd
> to open fire from a helicopter on an unarmed, peaceful war protest.

????  You aren't talking about Kent State are you?

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net     |
| Jefferson, LA  USA      http://ronandheather.dhs.org:81 |
| "I have created a government of whirled peas..."        |
|   Maharishi Mahesh Yogi, 12-May-2002,                   |
!   CNN, Larry King Live                                  |