Re: OT: debian-beer (was Re: wrapping [was: Re: disable paragraph flows in mozilla?])

Ah, well, now you get down to the point of it all...

On  0, Gary Turner <kk5st@swbell.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 23 May 2002 08:56:05 +0930, Tom Cook wrote:
[snip]
> >be impartial here, we Australians do a damn good beer.  It's not
>
> OK.  I won't judge by Foster's.  Certainly not an exemplar.

No.  I have had one can of Fosters, when I was about 12, and even then
I knew there had to be something better...

[snip]
> >makers.  After that the whole world really goes to hell, with the
> >French-speakers only not coming last because the Americans do.  As a
>
> French and Italian beers certainly set the standard for just not getting
> it.
>
> Then we have the Belgians with Chimay.  Decant and serve with pork.
> This is a perfect union of tastes.

Hmmm.  I'd rather a good Pinot Noir, something from the Hunter Valley,
perhaps.

> What about the Dutch and their Grolsch?  It makes up for that salty
> abomination, Heineken.  Try Grolsch with a grilled steak or roast beef.

Sorry, a good Coonawarra Shiraz (or even Clare Valley) takes the cake there.

> With mutton, lamb or goat, let the black malt of Guiness be the perfect
> counterpoint to the sweetness of the meat.

A Clare Valley Cab. Sav. gets this gurnsey.

> Sam Adams Boston Lager is my favorite for day to day sipping.
>
> The Micro-Breweries rate from sublime to gawd-awful and can change
> daily.

Too true.

I suppose you could call me a predjudiced drinker.  Beer, so I think,
is not meant to be consumed with food, there are other things for
that.  Beer is for when you come in from six hours gardeneing, or
rounding up sheep, or shearing, or ...  As the (Australian) beer add
runs, "A hard earned thirst needs a good cold beer."  Unfortunately,
the next line ("and the best cold beer is Vic - Vic Bitter") is utter
rubbish, but there you go.

For drinking with food, there is nothing like a big, bold red.

Tom
--
Tom Cook

"A child of five could understand this.  Fetch me a child of five."
	- Groucho Marx

Get my GPG public key: https://pinky.its.adelaide.edu.au/~tkcook/tom.cook-at-adelaide.edu.au