Re: Small footprint window manager

On Mon, 2002-05-13 at 20:01, Seneca wrote:
> On Mon, May 13, 2002 at 06:40:56PM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
[snip]
> > Bummer...  I presume you are proscribed by Higher Authority
> > from running IP Masquerading on a "real" firewall?  That
> > laptop with 2 PCMCIA NICs would make a great small, silent
> > firewall.
>
> The Higher Authority doesn't care what I do at my end, just so long as
> it doesn't affect his precious windoze boxen. I'm actually thinking of
> using one of the currently unused pentia for that (I have been assigned
> 1 IP for all of my systems), and leave the laptop relatively mobile.

A Pentium is _so_ overkill as a home firewall!  My Cyrix 233
is the firewall only because that is the oldest, slowest box
in the house.  If this thread's original poster can run X on
a 386/33 with 16MB RAM, then it's more than adequate as a home
IP masquerader & firewall.

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net        |
| Jefferson, LA  USA      http://ronandheather.dhs.org:81    |
| "I have created a government of whirled peas..."           |
|   Maharishi Mahesh Yogi, 12-May-2002, CNN, Larry King Live |