Re: Small footprint window manager

On Mon, 2002-05-13 at 17:13, Seneca wrote:
> On Mon, May 13, 2002 at 04:58:48PM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> > On Mon, 2002-05-13 at 15:09, Seneca wrote:
[snip]
> > > Not just any web proxy, but one that requires me to login, and requires
> > > java and javascript to do so.
> >
> > Sounds like MS Proxy 2.0.
>
> Not MS Proxy, but a different windoze proxy, Wingate.

Bummer...  I presume you are proscribed by Higher Authority
from running IP Masquerading on a "real" firewall?  That
laptop with 2 PCMCIA NICs would make a great small, silent
firewall.

[snip]
> > What a bummer.  Can you add more RAM?  Did you say that you are
> > using a Pentium?  Wait, you're the one who isn't allowed to upgrade,
> > right?
>
> Well, it's more like can't afford to, and not allowed the unused
> systems. However, I've figured out how to work around the permissions
> problem. Now it's all a matter of time, cabling, and de-windozing, and
> I'll have my own network of old pentia heating my room, not because of
> overloading (hopefully), but because of all the power supplies.

Good luck...

> As an aside... what is the current rating of an average household
> circuit in North America, 12A? This is not a homework question, the only
> course that this could have been one for was last semester. I just don't
> want to accidentally trip any breakers with the pentia.

All my circuit breakers are 20A.  YMMV.  I have a Cyrix 233, a
loaded Athlon-C 1GHz & a Pentium-III 550 all on the same plug,
and nothing untoward has happened yet, after almost a year.
(Yes, they are behind a UPS...)  Them, plus a 22" monitor means
that this is a nice, toasty room 24x365.

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net        |
| Jefferson, LA  USA      http://ronandheather.dhs.org:81    |
| "I have created a government of whirled peas..."           |
|   Maharishi Mahesh Yogi, 12-May-2002, CNN, Larry King Live |