Re: Small footprint window manager

On Mon, May 13, 2002 at 03:01:38PM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On Mon, 2002-05-13 at 14:20, Seneca wrote:
> [snip]
> > >
> > > Why not just use more than the standard 6 virtual consoles?  That
> > > would be _much_ more memory efficient than X 4.1.0.
> >
> > The standard 6 are already in use for other stuff (and yes, I do know
> > about ^Z), and I need X anyway to connect to a proxy.
>
> Ah, well.  You mean the way that Netscape connects thru web proxies?

Not just any web proxy, but one that requires me to login, and requires
java and javascript to do so.

> [snip]
> > > and that must count for something, even if the swap files _are_
> > > getting seriously excersied.
> >
> > The swapping has turned this system into a cron-operated alarmclock.
>
> ????  You mean that, every X hours, there's so much disk activity
> that it wakes you up?

That's right, and it's a better alarmclock than the purpose-built one
than I have. It also is a good heater. (furnace traditionally breaks
down on the coldest day of winter, and this laptop, with the help of a
single 60W lightbulb kept my desk area comfortably warm)

--
Seneca
seneca-cunningham@rogers.com