Re: safe load average

At 2002-05-08T01:56:57Z, Seneca <seneca-cunningham@rogers.com> writes:

> > More RAM perhaps to bring down the swapping load?

> I would if I could afford it, I can't even afford to buy lunch, much less
> a pair of 16M DIMMs (and that would max out this laptop's memory).  The
> only memory laying around is physically incompatible with my laptop.

Nonetheless, I think that's your only real option.  If you're that low on
RAM, then you'll constantly be tearing through swap.  In technical terms,
your computer is going nuts.

OTOH, I understand student budgets.  If your system is that low-end, then
you can probably upgrade to a whole new computer for less than what you'd
pay for RAM.  I'd say that about 2 trips to your local plasma donation
center can probably get you a used Celeron system with 128MB of RAM.
--
Kirk Strauser